Well it's time for another road map of where we're going. First off, for anyone not on version 10 yet – please upgrade. Upgrading is free as part of your yearly maintenance and you will get a giant productivity improvement. It's well worth the time.
Ok, so what's coming in the Reporting and Document Generation Engines?
- Native support for cubes and Microsoft's new BISM as a datasource.
- Support for native charts. If you have a chart that is not a chart tag, we will carry it over to output. As a chart in DOCX/XLSX/PPTX and as a bitmap for other formats. This is for Office 2007/2010 and DOCX/XLSX/PPTX templates only.
- Chart and bitmap tags will be charts/bitmaps in Excel and PowerPoint 2007/2010 just as Word presently is.
- There are some new features we're adding for AutoQuery (our B.I. product – check it out) that may make it over to reporting if it makes sense. One is animated charts where it can play the change in X/Y values over a time axis (probably as an embedded flash object).
- And for the AutoQuery product – we're probably going to port it to Javelin and Arrow so it can be used from any browser. And for the Javelin case, still no need to install SharePoint so we keep it very simple in terms of install and administration.
- If you have suggestions, please post them at ideas.windwardreports.com.
And then there's what is going away in version 11:
- We are dropping support for Office 2002 (we dropped Office 2000 in version 10).
- We are removing beans (they were deprecated in version 9) - please use macros and conditional formatting instead.
- We are removing the function tag (it was deprecated in version 9) - please use macros instead.
As always, if you have any questions, please call or email us.
Thanks - dave