XML for Reporting and Document Generation
Your XML data, put to use.
Now you can easily create professional XML reports, including custom template designs, in Microsoft® Word or Excel®.
Windward’s reporting software allows you to create and manage an unlimited number of XML reports based on XPath queries. The friendly wizard-style interface helps you select only the data you wish to view on your report, sort the data in any manner, export reports to all common formats, and much more. Simply put, Windward reporting software is the easiest way to create professional reports from your XML data.
Why Windward for File-based Data?
With Windward, you deliver better looking reports, on time.
The Windward product suite helps you embed advanced reporting and document generation functionality into your new or existing software application. The Windward Java and .NET engines quickly and cleanly embed into your codebase and connect with your file-based data source or sources.
By employing the Windward reporting and document generation solution, you to take advantage of several of the best features of file-based sources like Microsoft Excel©, XML and Microsoft Access (ODBC).
File Based Data Sources Supported by the Windward Solution
- XML Files or URL
- Microsoft Access (ODBC)
- Microsoft Excel
- SharePoint Lists
- SQL Schema
- SQL Server RDL Files
The advantages include:
Enjoy Complete Control Over Your Data Structure
Data structure is always an important concept when you are building an enterprise reporting system. With a file-based data source you have exact control over the structure and relations that exist between your data.
The structure of your data is the foundation for any software that interacts with it. With Windward, you can execute exact control over the relations and layout, allowing you to fine-tune the reporting process and increase performance and efficiency.
Take Advantage of Portability
You can create your templates both at your workplace or on the go. You use portable files for just that purpose, portability. You can design and generate your reports just the way you expect your data to function, online or offline. Windward’s products allow you to operate in both worlds.
Improve Your Use of Native Functions
Certain file-based systems enable you to use native functions to work with your data in an efficient manner. Windward will only populate your templates with the data you select, driving performance and scalability.
Several file-based data sources like XML and Microsoft Excel contain native functions to provide you with a toolbox full of data selection options. Windward’s ability to use these functions natively extends those options, meaning less time crunching your data and more time using it.
Design Templates with Ease
Once your programming is completed, non-developer employees and other end users apply the Windward AutoTag design tool to create report templates in Microsoft® Office®. Novice users can apply Windward’s intuitive connection wizards to create complex queries with simple drag and drop actions, directly linking their templates to your file-based data source.
They can then run and distribute those reports when and where they want, in widely used and widely accepted formats.
Key Benefits for XML Reporting with Windward
- An XML report generator that runs on YOUR platform. Windward is available for Java (pure Java), .NET (100% managed code) and virtually any other programming language.
- You choose your programming language. Create high-performance, multi-threaded and modular applications in Java, C#, VisualBasic, C++, Python, or PHP that you can build and run on desktop, server and embedded platforms.
- Easy to embed this XML reporting tool. Incorporating Windward into your program can be as little as 14 lines of code. (Note: template design is in Office but the engine does not use Office.)
- Easy to generate complex queries. The XPath Wizard is so intuitive that someone new to XML reporting can generate almost any query.
- Streamlined data access. Createdatasets of complex views to provide simple tables to access that data.
- Fast and flexible template design. You design reports in Microsoft Word and Excel, so there’s little training or learning curve – and you get a user interface that is superbly designed for document generation. Plus, the non-banded design tool lets you do things that are impossible with other XML reporting tools.
- Significant time savings through reusable elements. Windward Pods give you a powerful way to drag and drop data tags and complex sub reports – with no limitation on the combination of documents and tags in the Pod. Plus, you can pull in additional text and documents with a single tag, repeat parts of the document, include conditional parts of the document, and more.
- Powerful data selection. Commands to select data include a large number of equations and functions, and you can easily add your own for more power.
- XML reporting featuring lightning fast report generation. Report generation is measured in pages per second, not seconds per page.
With Windward, your template is a free-form document – exactly how XML data source reporting and document generation should be. Request a free demo.